Thursday, March 10, 2011

Welcome to ScreenFix

Welcome, pop culture aficionados, to a blog by nerds for nerds. Our goal here is to take the latest in pop culture and try to build a community around it, whether that is spreading the word on the latest cool shows, discussing the biggest blockbusters, or pontificating on the meaning of blowing people away in the latest FPS. Music, movies, books, games, TV; anything is fair game here. This blog was started by a group of people who met in college and found that they all spent more time talking about movies and last night’s episode of “How I Met Your Mother” than was really healthy. So, I guess now it is appropriate for us to introduce ourselves:

Ryan – My major vice is TV and I follow close to two dozen shows. I came up with the idea for this blog mostly out of boredom and a desire to find other people that want to talk about TV as much as I do. I really like sitcoms and police procedurals though I still don’t know why. I have a B.A. in English so I tend to over analyze things.

Zoe - While I definitely on average watch more TV than movies, I have been trying recently to better keep up with both although I may or may not have ten saved episodes of Chuck on my DVR. I have a thing for off beat plots and historical dramas but good luck getting me to watch anything scary, Ghost Hunters is my limit.

Brian - I like to pick and choose my pop culture according to my whims, which flit unpredictably between movies, television, video games, and music. Fantasy and science fiction are my comfort zone when it comes to fiction, though like most 18-24 year olds, I’ve wasted countless hours on the Law & Order franchise, CSI, and NCIS as well.

James – Film and Television are my specialty. I actually work in the industry, which means that unlike the rest of the poor sops who write for this blog, I can write off my DVD purchases on my taxes as research material. I'm an aspiring cinematographer and I'm currently working mostly as a PA or grip. I also dabble in video games and literature. I've got a degree in Film and Cinematography Studies as well as Philosophy so that means that I have a private collegiate institution that says I know what I'm talking about.

Manda - The hours I spend reading and watching television and movies have significantly increased since my college graduation. I enjoy things from a very broad spectrum of genres. While I have a soft spot for science fiction and stories with historical settings, I have been known to get drawn in to the occasional medical drama marathon.

drmamaje (Jess) - I too have a degree in film, with some hope to break into the industry. My tastes range from the popular to the obscure, from Die Hard to Dil Se. I can probably tell you more about Hou Hsaio Hsien then you would ever want to know.

Scotty - It's a rather long story on how ended up contributing to this blog. I am the only contributor, so far, with a (mostly) quantitative background. Mostly, I do reviews with Zoe in a dialog format. This usually entails us sitting at the same table with Zoe typing something profound while I play Farmville. Sometimes I interject with witty phrases such as "I liked it" and "bleh." One day I might write review of my own, but that would require me to write something longer than a paragraph.

That’s us. I assume the cast of characters might change slightly from time to time but these are the brave souls that were somehow convinced to put their names to this blog. Have something to say? If you are interested in contributing to ScreenFix send an email to Info.ScreenFix@gmail.com and let me know what you want to talk about.

No comments: