Thursday, April 07, 2011

Screenfix Summer Movie Preview: Part 1

The summer movie season is upon us and it is important to budget your time and money so that you can get the most out of your summer movie experience. Screenfix is here to give our advice on what movies are going to be worth the grossly inflated ticket price and which you should avoid. We aregoing to take this one week at a time so you can decide which new release to see each weekend.


Starting with April 8th we have Your Highness, Arthur, and Hanna

Ryan: I think for our first week I am most looking forward to Your Highness, the stoner fantasy comedy featuring James Franco and Natalie Portman. I am almost willing to pay the ticket price based solely on those two actors.

Zoe: And Natalie Portman shows her ass. So, yay.....Something about this movie makes me want to see it but since I can’t actually articulate what that thing is, I’m just going to wait for DVD because I’m poor and Scotty’s making me see Arthur.

Ryan: Apparently I need to watch this trailer again. I think this movie has the chance to appeal to the stoner-fantasy nerd crowd, although I am not sure whether it will be mainstream enough to apply to either the non-stoners or non-nerds. This is one of those movies that I did not feel the trailer gave me a good sense of the film so I am going to tentatively give this one a “see in theaters”, but it might turn out to be terrible.

James: Your Highness, in my opinion, looks like it will be everything that the short lived television show Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire could have been (and wished that it was) but unfortunately was not. It looks like a light hearted take on the classic hero’s tale. Also it stars James Franco, whom although I can’t remember seeing him in any movie, I have the opinion that he is a good actor.

Ryan: Arthur on the other hand looks terrible. Though I have not seen Russel Brand in many movies since Forgetting Sarah Marshall, even in that great film I did not think he was very good. I do not really enjoy his rock star brand of humour and this movie is clearly just a vehicle for him to act like a strange man-child. I am going to give this film a thumbs down and will be ignoring it in favor of movies with more explosions and decent acting.

James: Arthur, I assume, is a live action movie about a British anthropomorphic aardvark. Based off of the PBS cartoon. I could be wrong. Although I hope not.

Zoe: They have Arthur on Netflix, I discovered this recently.

Ryan: Moving on . . . to Hanna. I think this has the potential to be an original story. The trailer has not given away much about the plot but it seems to be in the Kick-Ass vein of thought of letting a young girl brutally kill a lot of bad guys.

James: The thing I have to say about Hanna is that I wish that trailer gave more of an indication of what it was actually about. We’re out of teaser trailer time and into the time period where I’m trying to make a decision about going to see it. I think it looks good, but I just have no idea of what it’ll be about.

Zoe: I want to see Hanna but mostly for the same reasons that I don’t want to see Your Highness. So, I apparently am drawn more to murderous little girls than stoners.

Ryan: So on April 8th, what movie are you standing in line for . . .

James: Hanna.

Zoe: Hanna


Ryan: On April 15th, we have Scream 4, Rio, and The Conspirator.


James: Here is my problem with Scream 4. My first reaction when I saw the Scream 4 trailer was that I assumed it was the trailer for the next Scary Movie. It just looked a little too silly for a serious horror film.

Ryan: I think I am going to have to pass on both Scream 4 and the angry birds movie.

Zoe: I think the fact that I walked into Jane Eyre while the trailer for The Conspirator was playing and gasped audibly says it all.


Ryan: April 22nd we have Water for Elephants and Tyler Perry's Madea's Big Happy Family. That basically makes this catch up week. I have no desire to see Robert Pattinson’s latest attempt to act nor will I pay to see a Tyler Perry movie.

James: The answer to the question “What will I be seeing this week” is Rio.


Ryan: Which moves us to April 29th bringing us Fast Five and Prom.

James: I have never seen any of the Fast and Furious movies series. The most interaction that I’ve had with the series was when ads for “Tokyo Drift” were placed into Planet Side, an MMO that I was playing my senior year of high school. Although it does star Vin Diesel, who is hands down the best bald action star ever. Suck it Bruce Willis.

Ryan: I have also not seen any of the Furious movies but I think if you have liked any of them it will be more of the same and the trailer does look really good. Likewise, Prom looks like it will be great for the kids otherwise it might require great amounts of medication to get through.

Zoe: I believe this is the week I will be going to see Arthur.


Ryan: May 6th brings us Thor the first of Marvels summer offerings. I have high hopes for this movie. I think Marvel has invested a great deal into its movie franchises leading up to Avengers. Also, it has Natalie Portman again which basically makes it a must see.

Zoe: Our second Natalie Portman movie of the summer. Honestly, Thor could dance around in a tutu and still be better than the random chick flick being released May 6. And Anthony Hopkins is Odin which is casting gold personified.

James: I’ll disagree and say that I don’t think that the Thor movie looks very good. The trailer made it look kind of cheesy and I’m not really sure how much space the plot has to go with a character who is little more than a god with a big hammer. I’m going to guess that this will end up just being Punisher with a bigger budget.


Ryan: May 13th has Bridesmades and Priest opening. I basically see Bridesmades being The Hangover with chicks. I think girls are going to be turned off by the crude humor and guys won’t like that it because it seems like a chick flick from the title. I would not bank on this movie doing well.

Zoe: Because you all are sexist pigs.

Ryan: James what are your thoughts on Priest?

James: Priest, to me, looks like one of those movies that cannot possibly be as good as the plot sounds. The best example of this that I can give was Matrix-killer Equilibrium. It sounded like a great mix between Fahrenheit 451 and the Matrix. But practically it just can’t work. A futuristic society of religious priests that fight vampires sounds awesome, but in a movie that isn’t an anime, comes off as silly.

Ryan: I am expecting this film to be some crazy cool fights scenes wrapped in a horrible story with terrible acting. If the fight scenes are good enough this could become another Wanted and I won’t care, but most likely I am going to leave the theater disappointed. However, if I can find $9.50 in my couch cushions I’ll probably go see this opening night.

Zoe: I forgot Priest existed until I saw the trailer in front of Sucker Punch, so I will probably be checking this out on DVD unless it totally sucks.


Ryan: May 20th finally brings us the 4th installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean series: the search for more mascara.

James: This will be the best Pirates movie since the original. Basically the concept seemed to be take out all of the bad actors and leave only the good ones. Hopefully Writing will follow in the Casting Department’s footsteps. I’ll see it.

Zoe: There is no way that I’m not going to see this movie. Never mind the fact that it’s the only movie coming out this weekend so I basically have no choice but I really just want to find out what happened to Jack the monkey.

Ryan: Between the 3-D and the Pirates brand name this movie is going to make major bank. I also agree with James that this will see the series stripped down to its roots where watching a drunken pirate prance on screen was still hilarious. I am curious as to whether Penelope Cruz will be helpful or harmful to this movie. I have trouble seeing Jack with a serious love interest, but I am intrigued and will gladly fork over the price of admission.


Ryan: May 27th offers the first real conundrum of the summer movie season as we have The Hangover: Part 2 and Kung Fu Panda 2.

James: I don’t know about you, but I have no conundrum here at all. I’m going to see Kung Fu Panda. I can’t get enough racist asian-animal stereotypes.

Ryan: I did see Hangover and didn’t think it was bad, but I definitely did not like it as much as most people so I am going to be seeing Jack Black’s latest meal ticket with James.

Zoe: I saw Kung Fu Panda and thought it said all it needed to and I didn’t see the Hangover so I will either be forking over the money to see Dreamworks’ latest eyebrow raising adventure or watch a netflix movie on my couch.


That’s our preview for the first half of the summer movie season. We will have our second half up featuring the rest of the films premiering this summer shortly. What films are you most excited for? Let us know in the comments.

No comments: