Thursday, June 02, 2011

Summer Movie Preview: JUNE

Thank you for tuning back in for the second part of our summer movie preview. The summer so far as seen big hits where we expected them, with Thor and Pirates, and a few unexpected hits with Fast Five and The Hangover II. We’ll be coming at you today with movies from June. Unfortunately we’ve decided treat the second half of the summer movie preview like The Hobbit film and split it up a little.


Ryan: June kicks off with X-Men: First Class a prequel showing the origin of Professor X and Magneto. For some reason I am just not psyched about this movie the way I should be. Maybe it’s how horrible the third X-men movie was or maybe I am just not interested in seeing the two old dudes of the X-Men world as young men. However, it is the only noteworthy release for this weekend so I’ll probably be standing in line.

James: I’ll admit that I too am a little scared about this next X-Men movie. The character I never liked in the previous films was always Wolverine and so the fact that this movie leaves him out for the most part seems like a good sign. I’ll blatantly use this space to remind everyone that they should follow up on X-Men Origins: Deadpool and make sure that actually happens.

Zoe: I am trying so hard to not get excited for this movie because the last two X-Men movies sucked and the last movie I was really excited for was Sucker Punch. But OMGBEAST!

Ryan: June 10th offers two movies, Super 8 and Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer and that is the last I will talk about Judy Moody. Super 8 on the other hand looks great and I am really excited to see if the Spielburg aesthetic continues throughout the movie and if that stops being cool after the first 10 minutes. I suspect it will not. This weekend is an easy pick, Super 8 all the way.

James: I’m going to say that even if it is not the highest grossing movie this summer, Super 8 will probably be the most remembered movie of this summer. From what I’ve seen of the trailers I have high hopes for it to be another Close Encounters or E.T. I’ve been betrayed by Steven Spielberg’s more recent movies but I can see signs that this movie will be his return to greatness.

Zoe: I have no overwhelming desire to see either of these movies but that’s more because I don’t respond well to giant mystery trailers. Scotty really wants to see this though, so I’ll get dragged.

Ryan: June continues and brings us The Green Lantern and Mr. Popper’s Penguins. I am very hopeful for The Green Lantern and am a big fan of Ryan Reynolds, but the first trailers did not look fantastic. However, subsequent trailers have looked much better and I am hoping that we see a good Green Lantern movie. Never really read Mr. Popper’s Penguins and I seem to think Jim Carrey stopped being funny a decade ago. James what are your thoughts on these films?

James: I loved Mr. Popper’s Penguins as a child, but don’t expect more than the standard fare from Jim Carrey these days. Which isn’t to say it’ll be bad. As for The Green Lantern I have two concerns. The first is that the story of the Green Lantern is a little harder to swallow for the average movie goer. It tends to be a little more steeped in comic book lore than something like Superman, which could be boiled down to “really strong super guy.” My second concern is that the movie relies quite strongly on CGI. Never during the course of the filming of the movie did Ryan Reynolds ever actually put on a costume outside of a motion capture suit.

Ryan: I kind of agree with you but I think it’s the “intergalactic cop portion” more so then the “can create anything he imagines” part of the story that is going to be the hard sell.

Zoe: I have never read Mr. Popper’s Penguins and I was apparently also the only person not impressed by the Green Lantern trailer but Ryan Reynolds is pretty

James: But he did divorce Scar Jo. I’ll never forgive him.

Ryan: The weekend of June 24th brings us Bad Teacher and Cars 2. I am hoping that Cars 2 is going to be Pixar going back to fix a less then perfect movie and not a desperate cash grab, but only slightly hopeful. Bad Teacher on the other hand has me furious almost to the point of boycotting. I know that it is comedy, but I do not think any movie should be made that tries to imply that teacher’s have an easy job or don’t work hard. The myth is persistent enough without Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake to help prop it up.

James: I think in a choice between Cameron Diaz’s next flop and Fast and Furious For Kids I’ll be staying home this weekend. Why out of all their series Pixar decided to bring back their lowest grossing movie of all time has always confused me. Yes it produced a lot of toy cars, but does Pixar really need to make the extra money? I expect a little more integrity from Pixar. I’ve also never really been able to believe Justin Timberlake as an actor so.... Although I guess I have to support any movie about teachers that does use the “Hard working teacher who believes in their job trying to teach idiot city kids how to learn” plot line.

Zoe: You know that feeling when you’re pretty sure that you’re making the wrong decision but you do it anyway? My movie sense is telling me that Bad Teacher will be bad and Cars 2 will be Pixar good but I’ve never seen Cars and Bad Teacher kind of looks funny. I can’t defend it.


Well that was June and all of its movie glory. It is both a month of highs and a month of lows. There will be good time and there will be bad times. I think we can all expect at least a couple good movies but it is an important month as it marks a middle point of both the summer and the better of the summer movies. Catch us next time for the conclusion of

Summer Movie Previews
Same ScreenFix time, Same ScreenFix channel

No comments: