Sunday, July 03, 2011

This Time Without the Elf: Pirates of the Caribbean on Stranger Tides

Scotty: Well ahoy there mateys! And welcome to our latest installment of Scotty and Zoe talking about movies. This week we review Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.


Zoe: Did you really just say that? Also, I’m pretty sure they know what movie we’re doing if they read the title.
 
I promise, that will be my extent of pirate slang. Plus, we want to pretend that this is an actual transcript of what we’re saying and not us pretending that we’re actually this eloquent when we speak.
 
It was my turn to be late to the movie this week and I did what any normal person would do. I queued up “He’s a Pirate” on my iPod, put it on repeat and sped towards Rio. It was as awesome as it sounds even if I was minus my gay pirate hat (it has rainbow trim) and it totally got me pumped for the movie.


Ah yes, Hans Zimmer tends to get into one’s blood.


On Stranger Tides is our mini-reboot of the Pirates franchise. Gone are the characters whose arcs were completed at the end f At World’s End.


Or we were just really tired of.


Are you saying you’re tired of the monkey?!


The monkey was in On Stranger Tides. Just in a really small amount, which it should be.


Enough to utilize the 3-D, but I wanted more monkey!


You would. I tend to find comical animal side characters to be annoying, unless it’s a dog. Preferably a pug


He didn’t talk, so I was okay with it. Anyways, our latest installment finds everyone’s favorite pirate, Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) searching for the fountain of youth and the components of a ritual allowing one to take advantage of it. This time he’s joined by pirates Blackbeard (Ian McShane) and Angelica (Penélope Cruz), a level 20 cleric (Sam Claflin)...


We are not that nerdy. Or at least, I’m not that nerdy.


I am currently wearing a Doctor Who t-shirt, I am totally that nerdy. The character’s actually named Philip but I think they only refer to him by name once.


There're mermaids, Spaniards, Barbosa has a peg leg that holds rum and is now a privateer for King George III-ish, oh and Blackbeard’s a voodoo master. Why you ask? Just because, don’t ask stupid questions. There are lots of plot points I could go over, but this movie is about two and a half hours long and the general story structure isn’t all that different from the other movies. Betrayal!
 
I’m rather disappointed with Blackbeard’s character. There are actual historical accounts of Blackbeard lighting his beard on fire just to freak out enemies. Yes, they did that in the movie, for one scene, but it was two little embers at the end of puny chin-braids. They had something really awesome based in fact that could’ve been Bruckheimered up into pure epicness. But no, they had to do some weird voodoo shit.
 
His ship captains are zombies, he makes voodoo dolls, keeps captured ships in bottles and he controls the ship with his magic sword.


Remember in the first Pirates where there was only one thing that was crazy?
 
Can we go back to Curse of the Black Pearl? Before they embraced the crazy? There was no need to make Blackbeard voodoo-y. They got three interesting bits out of it; a scene with a Jack voodoo doll that was creepy, a scene with a Jack voodoo doll that was funny and a scene where the crew gets tied up by the magical rigging when they try to mutiny. Three scenes in a two and a half hour movie are not worth the crazy and the whole subplot could have been cut to make the movie shorter.


I really didn’t like those scenes. I just wanted Blackbeard to light his head on fire. Also, the craziness led the way to CGIness, which is ubiquitous today in the modern action/fantasy film. However, I still hate it. Scenes that are almost all CGI make a movie look corny and detract from the movie as a whole.
 
Especially if you’re switching from a real life person to a CGI person. Mermaids, I’m looking at you. Part of the ritual requires the capture of a mermaid and when they show up, it’s all well and good. They’re played by real people, have strategically placed hair and CGI tails that just flap around. One tries to lure a pirate down in the water with her and as she does, turns on her monster face which I’m going to guess the face is CGI. From there, everything goes CGI.


I find it funny that they turn into a combination of fish, vampire and Spiderman. I don’t get the Spiderman part. Maybe one day I will...
 
The first two made it cool, the third made it silly. I’m not even sure what they were “web slinging,” seaweed? They were so obviously fake too, especially compared to what we first saw.


Seaweed.
 
I don’t think seaweed works like that.


Hush, this is Pirates. A mermaid can secrete seaweed at high velocity if they want it to.
 
And use it to pull guys into the water. There’s also the end, which I can’t really talk about without spoiling so I won’t use details. I will just say that there is CGI involved that seems a bit out of place with the rest of the movie and the same outcome could have been down a lot simpler and cooler.


A much better use of CGI comes about a scene or two later when Barbosa’s ship and crew is torn apart off in the distance by what I assume are angry mermaids. All you see are indistinguishable things swarming the rigging and pulling the ship down. It’s creepy and I liked it.


To me it seemed like a great WTF? moment.


I loved it. You know what else I love?


Smooth jazz?


I love a segueway into talking about the characters!


Sigh, this means I need to stop playing flash games while Zoe types. Well, the plot had its craziness with boatload (ha ha) of myths mixed in. I prefer the simplicity of the first movie, but I guess after what happened in World’s End, there’s no going back. What’s nice is that Elizabeth Swan and Will “Legolas” Turner are missing from this story. That makes me very happy.
 
While I think I may be one of the only people to actually like Elizabeth’s character (most of the time), everyone who went to go see Curse of the Black Pearl left thinking how awesome Jack was and not really caring about our lovebirds at the center of the story. Disney apparently didn’t realize this and more or less centered the entire trilogy around them and their love story. Now with our reboot, they do what everyone wanted from Dead Man’s Chest and switched plot lines.


Well, there is still a romantic plot with the main characters, but it is more of a Jack Sparrow love affair with enjoyable backstabbing and a lack of kissy-face. The other love story (sappy alert!) involves a missionary and a mermaid. They talk about forgiveness and stuff and they’re generally redeemable people, like how Turner and Swan were. Thankfully, their plot was in the background.
 
Its good B-plot stuff and it works its way into the main plot in a very well-crafted way. On top of that, it was a pretty believable version of a fairy tale-type love story. Also, it gave Sam Claflin an excuse to take off his shirt and just like Orlando Bloom donning the bandanna at the end of At World’s End, showing off his sailor tan made Philip inexplicably hotter.


I thought it was kinda far-fetched and put there for plot reasons. I only overlooked it because the entertaining Jack Sparrow and Barbossa were on screen more.

I do think the romance was something they could have easily cut to make the movie shorter but since it was there, I liked it.


I also liked Penelope Cruz’s character, mostly. (Even though she did kinda fill an obligatory token chick role. This movie would not pass the Bechdel test by any stretch of the imagination.) She had a good chemistry with Jack while still being an antagonist.
 
While we’re talking about characters, Blackbeard was awesome. Lack of flaming beard aside, I appreciated Ian McShane’s choice to go subtle with his portrayal. We already have Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush flailing and running about all eccentric-like and he’s following in the steps of Davy Jones who was played similarly. By playing it much more subdued, he comes across a lot more threatening than any previous villain. His evil reputation seems very much deserved and that Angelica, who is Blackbeard’s daughter, is in real danger if she stays with him.


That and he had to live up to the previous villain, cthulhu-face.


We’re complaining a lot but I did think this was a fun movie. It seems like they kept hinting at some dark stuff like the mermaids, how Barbosa lost his leg, and Blackbeard but held back for whatever reason. I think if they had either toned that stuff down or gone all the way (and cut out that voodoo nonsense), this movie would have been awesome! But the way it is, it’s pretty much your standard Pirates movie, fun but not trying anything new.


I thought the film was fun too, but I don’t think I’d want to see it again or at least not soon.


Where do you think it ranks with the other Pirates movies?


#2 behind Pearl.


I think it ties with Dead Man’s Chest for #2.


Dead Man’s Chest had that tiresome Turner/Turner plot that bogged down the movie. At least this one had pep.


It could have used a water wheel.

No comments: