Friday, March 23, 2012

2012 Summer Movie Fantasy League


If Ryan is writing his summer movie preview that means it is also time for the NSFW Podcast's Summer Movie Draft. In case you don't remember the draft from last year here are the basics. NSFW is a podcast on Leo Laporte's This Week in Tech netcast network (TWiT.TV). Every summer (and sometimes the winter) NSFW runs a fantasy football style game with movies. The podcast's host bid on movies for their team. Followers of the show can play along. You get 100 points to spend on movies at the rates set by the host's bidding.

Here is how I picked the ScreenFix movie team. I looked over the list of films and took note of the points it cost to buy each film. This ranged from 9 points to buy G.I. Joe 3 to 60 points for The Dark Knight Rises. I then loaded up the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX.com) since people on the site basically do this year round. I compared the estimated earnings for all the films to their point value and picked out the movies with the highest points per dollar earned ratio. Admittedly I did tend to skew toward movies I personally was excited but I ended up with a team that HSX.com estimates will make over a thousand million dollars. I don't know if that will be enough to win, but I'll check back in here through the season and let you know how its going. If you're interested in following along I'll include some links below.

The NSFW Episode 2012 Draft Episode

The Draft Spreadsheet - Bookmark this to follow the progress of the draft

NSFW Draft Image created by Kid Lion

No comments: